Have you Registered for Matric?
Three applicable courses:
- National Senior Certificate (NSC)
- Amended Senior Certificate (ASC)
- General Education Development (GED – American)
Purchase our powerful, progressive learning material to immediately guide you to success.
The E-Square Matric online learning platform is available anytime, anywhere and you can learn on your mobile.
Ed-U Options Academy Matric School offers three paths to complete or upgrade your matric (Grade 12) on a part-time or full-time basis, National Senior Certificate (NSC) qualification; Amended Senior Certificate (ASC) qualification and; General Education Diploma (GED).
The following subjects are offered for NSC & ASC:
Maths and Sciences
The National Senior Certificate according to the Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statements with a required School Based Assessment portfolio for each subject. NSC part-time upgrading offers candidates the opportunity to rewrite up to four subjects that appear on their statement of symbols in the National Senior Certificate Examinations in October/November of each year. The School Based Assessment portfolios have a validity of three years after which it expires. No subject changes are allowed and candidates may only upgrade subjects that were completed in their full-time Grade 12 year and that appears on their statement of symbols.
Candidates must register for the National Examination at their nearest District Department of Education by 15 February of each year. Each candidate will be allocated an examination centre during the registration process. For the 2020 National Senior Certificate rewrite only candidates that wrote their grade 12 in 2017 to 2019 may register, for the 2021 National Senior Certificate rewrite candidates that wrote their Grade 12 from 2018 to 2020 may register and so on. This is due to the validity of the School Based Assessment portfolios (SBA) for each subject that expires after three years. School Based Assessment will not be redone during the upgrading process.
Amended Senior Certificate, previously known as Nated 550, is offered to candidates to complete the National Examinations in May/June of each year. The Amended Senior Certificate national examinations will be phased out in 2023 and the last national examination offered is in May/June 2022.
Based on the need for education for adults that are equivalent to the National Senior Certificate (NSC), the Senior Certificate qualification was amended post 2014 to follow the Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement (CAPS) subjects as in the National Senior Certificate (NSC). The Amended Senior Certificate retains its qualification structure and all Senior Certificate subjects that were passed prior to June 2016 at Higher Grade and Standard Grade levels will be recognized. This excludes Lower Grade conversions.
The following candidates qualify for the Amended Senior Certificate:
- Adult learners who are 21 years and older with a General Education and Training Certificate (GETC), a Grade 9 or standard 7 school report stating that he/she passed Grade 9 or standard 7 or a recognized equivalent qualification obtained at NQF Level 1 which requires two official languages.
- Adults learners 21 years and older with an incomplete National Senior Certificate qualification. (Previous credits will be recognized.)
- Adult learners 21 years and older with an incomplete National Senior Certificate qualification of which the School Based Assessment (SBA) validity has expired. (Previous credits will be recognized.)
- Any candidate who has written the Senior Certificate or part thereof either as a fulltime or part time candidate 2007 or before may register to either improve on symbols or pass subjects failed previously. Candidates may only register for a maximum of six (6) subjects.
- Candidates who wish to change their career paths. Such candidates may choose to study and write subjects not indicated on previous statement of symbols.
The Amended Senior Certificate excludes the School Based Assessment of the Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement. To be successful in obtaining the Amended Senior Certificate qualification, candidates must have a six – subject package. (Business English N3, Second language and Sakeafrikaans N3, no other N3 subjects will be recognized as previous credits.) As candidates are exempted from School Based Assessment, the national examination will constitute 100% of the final mark. Examinations are administered at designated examination centres nationwide determined by the District Education Department. All candidates must register themselves at their nearest District Education Department by end-January of each year. Examination centres will be allocated to each candidate during this process. See list of Examination centres here.(activate link)
Promotion requirements of candidates offering the Amended Senior Certificate:
- Pass at least five of the six subjects.
- Pass three subjects at 40% or more and two subjects at 30% or more.
- Obtain a sub-minimum of 20% for the sixth subject.
- Pass two languages, of which one must be the language of tuition, on Home Language Level with 40% or more and the second on First Additional Language Level with 30% or more. A candidate may offer two languages on Home Language Level.
- No immigrant concessions will be granted.
- Life Orientation is excluded from the six-package subjects.
- Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy is optional.
Results are available from the District Offices where candidates registered from mid-August every year.
What is a GED?
The GED(R) is an American based international Grade 12 equivalent qualification with only 4 subjects to pass and can be completed in one year or less. All learning content is available online and no additional resources are required. You must be 17 years of age to write the exams at any one of 40+ centres in South Africa.